St. Gabriel employs the services of a Youth Success Coach, Mrs. Melissa Yanitski. Mrs. Yanitski mentors, coaches and supports students and their families by building relationships, identifying and encouraging students to use their strengths to achieve learning outcomes and personal goals. Mrs. Yanitski also facilitates contacts between students and external agencies when alternative supports maybe required.
Addition information and links
- SchoolWAXTV.com - Homework Hotline: SchoolWAX.com an all-in-one homework help site, and SchoolWAXTV.com an online video sharing site designed for school use. Both sites contain only educator-approved content and do not have third-party advertising.
- https://services.su.ualberta.ca/tutor/ - Tutoring Services: Check outhttps://services.su.ualberta.ca/tutor/ Feel free to ask for credentials (degrees) and references.
- Peer Tutor? Adult Tutor? Call or email Mr. Szynkowski directly for an up-to-date list of contacts.
- www.alberta.exambank.com. - Practice Exams: Check outwww.alberta.exambank.com. Ask Mr. Szynkowski for the SACHS username and password.
- www.albertahealthservices.ca - Exam stress: Check outwww.albertahealthservices.ca and type in ‘exam stress’. You’ll find practical and helpful tips to get you through the rigors of high school exams
- www.success2000studycentres.ca - tutoring, mentoring and study sessions offered here in St. Albert
- www.sylvanlearning.ca - tutoring and instruction in study skills, math, reading, and writing, St. Albert
Personal and Mental Health Support:
- ERCSD-AHS Caregiver Series
- Surviving The Storm - Addiction Series
- http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/ - Access information regarding substance use, self-harm, or other mental health concerns through this site. Alberta Alcohol and Drug Abuse Commission (AADAC), now part of Alberta Health Services, provides excellent information about resources, prevention and treatment of drug and alcohol abuse.
- AlbertaQuits.ca - Quit Smoking: AlbertaQuits Services include helpline, online and group counselling services designed to support all Albertans who have a desire to quit smoking.
- http://www.cmha.ca/ - Canadian Mental Health Association offers this site to raise awareness of mental health problems that can affect teen lives and to provide practical tools and suggestions to support high school students.
- www.the-family-centre.com - The Family Centre offers a wide range of programs and services to individuals and families including counselling for individuals, couples, families and groups.
- www.stalbertfcss.ca - Family School Liaison Program (FCSS) is a family centred resource that provides support, counselling and liaison services to individuals and families whose children may be experiencing difficulties either at home or at school.
- www.stopabuse.ca - St.Albert SAIF (Stop Abuse In Families) Society provides education, support and advocacy in the prevention of all forms of violence in relationships.
- www.sace.ab.ca - Sexual Assault Centre of Edmonton is a non-profit organization that provides crisis intervention, public education and one-on-one counselling.
- www.ok2bblue.com - Mental Health site for Youth Seeking Support.
- http://talkingcanhelp.ca/ - Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association
- http://www.video-game-addiction.net/about - Video Game addiction: below are links for an edition of The Fifth Estate related to Video Game Addiction and on Addiction to "Second Life" style computer activities. Please note, these are general journalism programs, and not evidence based by any means, but they can both be enlightening to watch and to understand the possible scope of the problem.
- https://www.cybertip.ca/ - This site is Canada’s tipline for reporting online sexual exploitation of children. It also provides parents with reliable information about protecting children and families on the Internet.
- http://www.mvparents.com/parenting-resources/tips-tools - This site provides helpful tips to building assets with your children.
- http://www.mvparents.com/archives - This site provides everyday parenting ideas from building strong families to parenting through crises.
- http://www.search-institute.org/content/40-developmental-assets-adolescents-ages-12-18 - This wonderful site lists the 40 developmental assets for adolescents and provides examples of ways to 'take action' in supporting our teens.
- http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/6320.asp - What you want to know now: PMMA, Ecstasy, and other Street Drugs? Recent deaths associated with PMMA/Ecstasy have illustrated the tragic reality of street drug use: There is no safe street drug, there is no safe dose, and no one is immune to risk. From education and awareness, to support and treatment, AHS is here to help.
Quick Links for Parents:
- www.albertahealthservices.ca/edmschoolhealth.asp - Parent Information Series: Resources Lists for Health Curriculum for Teachers and Parents:www.albertahealthservices.ca/edmschoolhealth.asp